Jump to Navigation

Workers’ compensation benefits in Connecticut

Workers’ compensation can be a valuable form of assistance to people who suffer work-related injuries or illnesses.

People in any type of industry or line of work can be subject to a job-related injury or occupational disease. When these situations arise, it is important for people to have access to proper medical care as well as assistance to cover lost earnings. That is what the system of workers' compensation in Connecticut was developed for.

The program is administered by the State of Connecticut Workers' Compensation Commission. It is a no-fault system that provides benefits to injured or ill employees, even if the injury or illness resulted from some fault on the part of the employee. One exception to this is for any situation involving alcohol or substance abuse.

Who can receive benefits?

In Connecticut, workers' compensation benefits can be paid to part-time or full-time employees, legal adults or minors and citizens and non-citizens alike. The nature of the industry or job is not necessarily an issue, although people working in domestic roles for less than 26 hours per week are not eligible to claim workers' compensation benefits.

What is the general process for initiating a claim?

A state publication titled "An Employee's Pocket Guide to Connecticut Workers' Compensation" indicates that any injury should be reported to an employer as soon as possible. Waiting any length of time to make a report can increase the likelihood of a dispute along the way.

An employer is responsible for filing the first required form, called a First Report of Injury. This is to be submitted to both the Workers' Compensation Commission and the insurance provider. Employees must submit a claim usually with a 30C Form. Information required will include a wage statement from the employer, federal tax filing details and medical reports or statements from doctors or other healthcare professionals.

The workers' compensation benefits can begin to be paid out as quickly as two weeks after a report is filed.

What happens if a claim is disputed or denied?

Two situations can impede the receipt of benefits. First, an employer can disagree with and formally dispute a claim. Second, the workers' compensation commission can deny a claim, even if an employer does not dispute it. In these situations, other options are available to workers, including an appeal.

Types of benefits available

There are many types of benefits available to injured or ill employees. These include coverage for medical care, vocational rehabilitation and loss of earning benefits. There are no longer allowances given for dependents.

What people should do

The process for claiming workers' compensation benefits can be complex and require a lot of detail and supporting documentation. Working with an attorney from the beginning can provide the necessary assistance.

Keywords: workers' compensation, injury, job, work-related

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Office Location

Law Offices of Ralph A. Russo
49 Welles St. #212
Glastonbury, CT 06033

Phone: 860-266-4703
Toll Free: 888-343-3836
Fax: 860-652-0491
Glastonbury Law Office Map